I have been collecting links related to Equity and Social Justice in Mathematics. I need to get them out of my Diigo, and into someplace more public where I can use them better.
I am stunned by how many I have. Clearly, this topic is one that mathematics professionals are discussing and writing about. Communicating this to educators who are not aware of the breadth and depth of the conversation is why I am posting these.
***I know I am missing many! Please add them in the comments. Please!***
Mathematics organizations’ official positions
- NCTM position statement on Access and Equity April 2014
- NCTM position statement on Closing the Opportunity Gap February 2012
- NCTM position statement on High Expectations July 2016
- NCTM post on Response to Charlottesville (n.d. listed) but published August 2017
- NCSM and TODOS: Mathematics for All, position statement on Math through the lens of social justice (PDF) Not dated, but published 2016
- AMTE (Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators) position statement on Equity in Mathematics Teacher Education November 2015
- The MAA (Mathematics Association of America) has 3 standing committees for the topic of underrepresented groups in mathematics
- The AMS (American Mathematical Society) has multiple program for underrepresented groups in mathematics
Blog posts from other mathematics organizations
- The AMS post on Discussing Justice on the first day of class (17 August 2017)
- The AMS has a blog dedicated to underrepresented groups in mathematics: inclusion/exclusion
- The Math Ed Matters blog of the AMS has a post on Equity in Mathematics with more links. 29 February 2016
Journals whose content is focused on Equity and / or Justice, or important articles
- TODOS: Mathematics for All, Teaching for Excellence and Equity in Mathematics (TEEM) Journal
- Journal for Urban Mathematics Education (JUME)
- Journal of Mathematics and Culture (sponsored by North American Study Group on Ethnomathematics, NASGEm)
- The Journal of Humanistic Mathematics (current)
- The Humanistic Mathematics Network Journal (HMNJ, 1987-2004) See #9, which is the new journal.
- Marta Civil. (2006). Working towards equity in mathematics education (PDF article)
- Lawrence Lesser. (2007). Critical Values and Transforming Data: Teaching Statistics with Social Justice. (PDF article)
Sites or Organizations focused on Math Equity
- Benjamin Banneker Association, Inc (BBA)
- Women and Mathematics Education
- The Math Forum’s resources on Equity
- The Mathematics Assessment Project (MAP via MARS) TRU framework
- Math and Social Justice: A Collaborative MTBoS Site : This could be a very important site for these issues. How can we build it up?
- Twitter search for #TMCEquity hashtag
Non-Mathematics, but other education organizations
- The NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) posted, There Is No Apolitical Classroom: Resources for Teaching in These Times. This page has a thorough collection of resources which can be used across curriculums. 15 August 2017.