Wow, it has been a while since I posted anything, and I need to share a ton of things I have done. I predict that I will post a lot in the next several weeks. The school year is winding down, but my learners are ramping up. Grad school is down for the summer (with the exception of an independent study on activity theory) so I have much more time to write.
My learners are working on their final exam / projects, and they are hating me right now. They realize that the stats has a purpose, and that it is far harder than they thought. The handout for my assignment is here if you want to use it, or see what I required.
The only reason I veto projects are because it is too easy, too hard (and it is my opinion for that, although we discuss the reason why so they have an opportunity to revise and make it appropriate) or if the subject matter is just too sensitive / personal and it is in the realm of professionals, not high school learners.
Below is the list of surveys / observational studies / experiments that my learners have decided to undertake this year, broken up by period. It is a rather impressive list!
- Social media use / grades
- How do adults / teenagers differ in choosing restaurants
- Does quizlet or flashcards help more in learning vocab (using ancient Sumerian words?!)
- Does education really affect income (using census data from several zipcodes in the city)
- Is there an association between a school’s weightlifting records and win/loss at sports?
- Is sex ed successful?
- Does involvement in club cheer affect grades (4 different age groups)
- Do taller people run faster, looking at high school, college and Olympic atheletes?
- Does appearance have an impact on grades?
- General questions about tobacco use and quitting
- Which costs more, male or female beauty products?
- Quality of life of the parents / learners in school
- Which area of the city has more trash on the sides of the roads?
- Does music affect memory (experiment)?
- How do you use social media?
- What is your perception of LBGT issues?
- How does sports affect grades?
- Are oreos really double stuffed? (I never showed my class the story on this, this team came up with it on their own! Love it)
- Is bullying an issue, how large?
- Are drivers more likely to stop at a stop sign when they are being watched?
- An experiment on what type of information changes learners opinions on drinking age.
- Does work hours affect GPA?
- Does being exempt from an enrichment class at school affect GPA?
- Are cheetos packaging regarding number of pieces correct?
- Does social media use hurt GPA?
- Is the dress code at school appropriate?
- Does the sugar content of cereals affect the placement of the cereals in the grocery store?
- Does music affect memory?
- An experiment on whether or not gender effects whether or not people help with dropped books in the hallways.
- How does our school compare to other schools in the community service of the learners?
- Does sexism exist in the high school population?
- Does the perception of animal rights change from learners to adults in the building?
- What kinds of social media is most prevalent & how should the school use social media?
- Who is bullied most over social media, males or females?
- How does M-M vs. F-F & hair length affect the attitudes towards GLBT youth in stores (a very daring observational study)
- What drugs are prevalently used in the high school per grade level?
- Is marijuana use a problem in the high school?
As you can see, there is a huge variety (and some major overlap) between the different classes and projects. Each group is working their way to answering their questions, with the final exam being a presentation of their results.